Recycling Cart Availability (Updated May 11, 2016)
The City is currently out of stock on 64-gallon recycling carts. We apologize for the inconvenience.
You can download a recycling cart order form by clicking here (PDF).
Recycling Cart Program
The recycling carts are made of a sturdy commercial-grade plastic with wheels for easy movement and hinged lids to contain items and minimize animal pilferage and blowing trash. The new carts offer a clean and convenient way for residents to dispose of recyclables and increase their recycling capacity.
Cart Size Options
Recycling carts come in three sizes:
- 96 gallons - $57
- 64 gallons - $47
- 32 gallons - $39
The City encourages residents to choose one of the blue recycling carts that are being offered in the following sizes: 96-gallon, 64-gallon or 32-gallon. This ensures the carts will work with the automated hauling process and it also guarantees there will not be any confusion between recycling and garbage collection since these services occur on the same day. This is a primary reason why the new carts are blue so the hauler can differentiate between garbage and recycling.
The City's recycling hauler, Republic Services, will allow residents to use other containers if they are equipped with a metal bar allowing for automated pick-up and if it is clearly marked as a recycling container. Please note that neither the City of Naperville nor Republic Services will be responsible for any damages that occur if residents choose to use a non-City issued cart.
Also, please be aware that by using a non-City issued recycling cart, it increases the potential for the City's hauler to miss picking up your recyclables as drivers will be looking for a City-issued blue recycling cart.
Residents may use the following metrics for comparison when choosing their cart:
- 32-gallon cart holds up to 2 standard kitchen-size bags
- 64-gallon cart holds up to 4 standard kitchen-size bags
- 96-gallon cart holds up to 6 standard kitchen-size bags
Cart size dimensions are as follows:
- 96-gallon cart: 46" H x 26" W x 35" D
- 64-gallon cart: 42" H x 24" W x 27" D
- 32-gallon cart: 38" H x 19" W x 24" D
Click here to see a picture of what the carts look like.
Your Recycling Service
Republic Services is the City's recycling contractor. If you have any additional questions regarding recyclable materials, please call Republic Services Customer Service at (630) 892-9294.
Please place the following recyclables in your recycling cart:
- Junk Mail
- Phone Books
- Books (notebooks, novels, hard or soft textbooks; residents are encouraged to donate items in good condition.)
- Office Paper
- Post-It Notes™
- Gift Wrap
- Paper Bags
- Chipboard Boxes Such as Gift Boxes, Tissue Boxes, and Cereal Boxes
- Corrugated Cardboard Boxes including Frozen Food Boxes
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Aluminum Cans, Foil, and Trays
- Tin or Steel Cans, Including Empty Aerosol Cans and Paint Cans
- Plastic Containers numbered #1 through #7 (except #6)
- Plastic 6-Pack Rings
- Milk Cartons and Drink Boxes
- Shredded Paper (in clear plastic bags only)
Clear plastic bags of shredded paper must contain only paper. Cards or other plasticized material contaminates the product.
Place recycling carts on the side of the driveway opposite from garbage collection cans and yard waste.
Mixed paper may be placed in a separate bin or paper bag. Do not tie the paper into bundles, or place recycling in plastic bags, The exception to this is when disposing of shredded paper which must be disposed of in clear plastic bags.
All containers should be rinsed out, but labels do not need to be removed. Please remember:
- Styrofoam products are not included in Naperville's curbside recycling program. Packing peanuts can be recycled at some local mailing or shipping establishments. Visit the Plastic Loose Fill Council Web site to find participating stores. Dart Container Corporation in North Aurora operates a polystyrene foam (styrofoam) drop-off recycling site for foam cups and containers, foam egg cartons, meat trays, and most packaging foam: molded forms and shapes. They do not accept packing peanuts. Visit Dart Container Corporation and click on the Recycling Specifications tab for more information. (630) 896-4631
- Plastic bags may be recycled at some local grocery stores.
- Use the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off site for recycling oil-based and alkyd paint, household chemicals, fluorescent bulbs, pesticides and automotive fluids.
Non-City Recycling & Shredding Events
In addition to City-sponsored programs, DuPage County and other organizations hold a variety of recycling and shredding events throughout the year.
Please check the Regional Recycling and Shredding Events page for more information.