DuPage County Latex Paint Recycling Program
From June 9 through July 3, 2014, DuPage County will be hosting a latex paint recycling program. All usable, unfrozen paint that is less than 10 years old and has not been mixed with other products is eligible for this program. The paint will be filtered and re-blended into a variety of colors, types and finishes and redistributed to residents free of charge beginning on June 16.
Interested parties can turn in paint at the Woodridge Greene Valley Wastewater Treatment Facility, 7900 S. Route 53, Woodridge, between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., Monday through Friday from June 9 through July 3 as well as 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 14 and 28.
For more information, contact the DuPage County Public Works Department at (630) 985-7400 or the Department of Economic Development and Planning at (630) 407-6700.
The City’s household hazardous waste (HHW) drop-off facility is located in the rear of the property behind Fire Station No. 4, 1979 Brookdale Road. The facility is open Saturdays and Sundays, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., excluding holidays. No material may be dropped off at any other time.
Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted. The HHW facility in Naperville is open and available to all residents of Illinois.
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material to avoid having personal items collected by a hazmat crew member.
- Expect that there may be a wait. This facility is one of only three household hazardous waste sites in the State of Illinois. Hazardous materials dropped off are processed for disposal as they are received at the facility. Please only bring accepted items this will help expedite the collection process.
Accepted Household Items
- Automotive fluids (including oil, gasoline, and anti-freeze)
- Batteries (including automotive and sump pump)
- Cleaning products, drain openers
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFLs
- Mineral spirits, strippers, solvents
- Paints and stains (oil based and alkyd only)
- Prescription medications
- Propane tanks (20 lbs or less)
- Unknown hazardous substances
Items NOT Accepted
- Compressed gas (other than propane)
- Electronics (accepted at recycling drop-off center)
- Empty spray cans and containers
- Helium tanks
- Latex Paint (see below)
- Radioactive materials
- Sharps (needles or lancets)
- Smoke detectors
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
Latex Paint and Stain Disposal and Recycling
Latex paint is not a hazardous material. To discard leftover latex paint in the trash it must first be hardened. Leave the lid off or to expedite the process, add an absorbent such as cat litter, oil dry or saw dust. Once the liquid paint is absorbed, place the can in the garbage with the lid off so the driver can tell that the paint is dry.
If you have questions about the City’s household hazardous waste collection program, please call the Department of Public Works at (630) 420-6095, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- City of Naperville - (630) 420-6095
- DuPage County - (630) 407-6700
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) - (217) 782-9261
- City of Aurora - (630) 844-3621
- Kane County - (630) 208-3841
- Will County - (815) 727-8834
For more information, visit the DuPage County Department of Economic Development and Planning .