On this Page...
Current Status (Last Updated March 25, 2013)
Resurfacing work for the 2013 Roadway Resurfacing Program is expected to begin in May 2013. The City is currently developing plans and specifications for prospective bidders. Click here to view the preliminary list of streets that are selected for the 2013 program. The final list will be available in April. Affected residents will receive construction notices one week prior to the work.
Visit the 2013 Interactive Construction Map and keep track of where work is being performed in the City of Naperville throughout the year.
Funded by state and local motor fuel tax funds, Naperville's Street Resurfacing Program is designed to provide the city with safe, drivable roadway surfaces. The city's annual Street Maintenance Improvement Program consists of three major categories:
- Preventive Maintenance
Each year, the city evaluates its roadways and selects cost-effective maintenance treatments to enhance and extend the useful life of the pavement. When a pavement has deteriorated beyond the point of preventative maintenance and resurfacing, the pavement will be replaced.
The goal of this project is to resurface the road and repair failing concrete infrastructure in the public right-of-way. To accomplish this, deteriorated curb through some driveways and storm structures will be removed and replaced before the street is resurfaced.
A city inspector will evaluate the curbs to determine if it negatively affects the street surface. Those identified curbs will be marked with a set of arrows facing each other to indicate the section of the the curb that is to be replaced at no cost to the homeowner. Please note that cracks in your curb do not necessarily indicate a need for replacement. Storm sewers will also be evaluated and replaced as part of the process.
City inspectors will also evaluate your sidewalk to see if it qualifies for the city's Sidewalk Replacement Program, which under city ordinance requires the city to assist property owners with the cost of sidewalk replacement. Through this cost-sharing initiative, the city is required to pay for 60 percent of the sidewalk replacement costs, while residents are responsible for the remaining 40 percent.
Deteriorated sidewalk squares in need of repair or replacement will be designated with a white "X" mark. One of the following conditions must exist for a sidewalk to be replaced using the city's Sidewalk Replacement Program:
- Sidewalk squares must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections.
- Sidewalk squares must be broken or separated into three or more pieces.
- Sidewalk squares must have 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated.
Curb Marked for Replacement
Sidewalk Marked for Replacement
In the case of asphalt driveway aprons, the City of Naperville will repair the affected driveway aprons. However, the city will not repair the driveway aprons with brick, stamped concrete, stones/gravels and other decorative materials. Since there is a higher replacement cost for brick and other decorative driveway aprons, the City Council voted to reimburse the homeowners for a portion of the repair costs. Brick driveways will have only the necessary bricks removed to complete the repairs. The bricks will then be stockpiled on the property. The property owner must then make arrangements to have them reset by a private brick driveway contractor. When driveway access is restricted, the overnight street parking restrictions in the area will be relaxed. During construction the roadway will be open to local traffic only.
Please note that all decorative landscaping, sprinkler systems and buried electronic fence equipment must be located, and clearly marked by the homeowner throughout the construction period. Maintaining the markings and protection of these items is the responsibility of the homeowner. The City of Naperville will not be responsible for damage to unmarked systems.
The following subdivisions are scheduled as part of the City's 2013 Roadway Resurfacing Program:
The 2013 Construction Season Map is also available here. Work is scheduled to be complete by October 2013. Once weork begins in a subdivision, it should be completed in approximately one and a half months. Please be advised that this time frame is tentative pending weather and unforseen construction complications.
The city welcomes comments and input including special coordination concerns from affected parties.
Questions and concerns regarding the city's Roadway Resurfacing Program can be directed to email@example.com.
Residents are also encouraged to subscribe to our eNews service to follow the latest updates about the program in your neighborhood.
A list of frequently asked questions and answers (PDF) is also available.