The City offers two leaf collection options:
- Free bagged (no sticker required) leaf collection program - allows residents to dispose of leaves and yard waste weekly
- Bulk curbside collection - every neighborhood has three leaf disposal opportunities each autumn
The burning of leaves is not permitted within City limits, but residents can mulch and compost leaves, grass clips, etc.
Weekly Bagged Leaf and Yard Waste Collection Program
This program, provided through Waste Management, allows residents to dispose of yard waste without yard waste stickers each week on their normal trash collection day from October 31 through December 9, 2016.
To participate, fill 32-gallon paper yard waste bags, clearly labeled 32-gallon trash cans or clearly labeled two-wheeled carts with leaves and other yard waste and place the receptacle at the curb by 6 a.m. on your normal trash collection day. There is a 60 pound maximum per bag. (Don't forget that wet leaves add to the weight of the bag.)
Prior to October 31, a yard waste sticker is required on each bag, bundle, can or cart placed out for collection. Stickers cost $2.10 and can be purchased at many Naperville stores or in the Finance Department at the Municipal Center. Paper yard waste bags are available at local grocery and hardware stores. The City does not provide leaf bags.
"Yard Waste Only" labels are available at the Public Works Service Center, 180 Fort Hill Drive, for purposes of clearly labeling receptacles containing yard waste. Use of these labels are not required, but receptacles must be clearly labeled "Yard Waste Only" in some way. Branches and other yard waste tied into bundles require a sticker at all times.
All yard waste collection ends for the year on December 9, 2016. This includes the city's yard waste/organics collection program that allows residents to bypass bagging and stickers by utilizing a provided cart to dispose of food waste/organics and yard waste for a monthly fee paid to Waste Management.
Yard waste collection in 2017 will begin on March 13, 2017.
Bulk Curbside Leaf Collection Program
The City's curbside leaf collection schedule provides every neighborhood with three leaf collection opportunities, weather permitting, each year. To participate, residents rake leaves into the street next to the curb in front of their house, avoiding storm drains, at the beginning of each leaf collection cycle.
Leaves must be raked into the street by 6 a.m. on the following dates in 2016:
- October 17
- October 31
- November 14 (collection ends on November 23)
Historic District residents will receive service on November 5, 12 and 19, 2016.
- Snow, rain or freezing weather may significantly delay or permanently halt curbside leaf collection, as the same equipment that removes leaves is used to handle deicing and snowplowing. If snow falls or is forecast, remaining leaves should be disposed of through the City's weekly yard waste collection program.
- Collection on a certain day can't be guaranteed.
- Only place leaves in leaf piles. Items such as branches, twigs, lumber, rocks, Halloween decorations, etc., can cause the equipment to break down, which delays the collection process and increases costs.
- Rake leaves away from storm drains in the street to prevent flooding.
- Street sweeping will begin after curbside leaf collection ends, weather permitting. Residents may choose to sweep up leaf debris and include it in the weekly yard waste collection program.