Bond Set for Man Accused of Shooting into Crowd on 2016 Thanksgiving
(The following is a joint release from the Naperville Police Department and the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office)
DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin and Naperville Police Chief Robert Marshall announced today that bond has been set for a man accused of opening fire at a group of people in the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day, 2016. Dion Knight, 30 (d.o.b. 2/2/1987) of 823 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Naperville, appeared in Bond Court yesterday afternoon where bond was set at $300,000 with 10% to apply in accordance with a previously issued arrest warrant. Knight has been charged with one count of Aggravated Battery – With a Gun (Class X Felony) one count of Possession of a Firearm by a Street Gang Member (Class 2 Felony) and one count of Unlawful Possession of a Weapon by a Felon (Class 2 Felony.)
It is alleged that on November 24, 2016, at approximately 2 a.m., Knight was in his vehicle driving through a parking lot of an apartment complex located on Fairway Drive in Naperville. It is alleged that as Knight drove through the parking lot, he opened fire at a group of people, striking one victim in the upper right chest. It is further alleged that following the shooting, Knight fled the scene. An investigation conducted by the Naperville Police Department led to Knight, who is currently in custody in the DuPage County Jail on unrelated charges.
“The allegations against Mr. Knight are extremely serious and will not be tolerated,” Berlin said. “Thankfully, the injuries sustained by the victim in this alleged shooting were not life threatening. I would like to thank the Naperville Police Department, particularly Detective Erin Gibler for their fine work on this case. I would also like to thank Assistant State’s Attorney Joe Lindt for his efforts on this case.”
“This was an extremely dangerous act that could have had far worse ramifications and I'm proud of the investigation conducted by our detectives which led to the securing of charges against the suspect involved,” Marshall said. "I would also like to thank the State's Attorney's Office for their guidance and collaboration as we worked through this case."
Knight’s next court appearance is scheduled for August 21, 2017, for arraignment in front of Judge George Bakalis.
Members of the public are reminded that these complaints contain only charges and are not proof of the defendant’s guilt. A defendant is presumed innocent and is entitled to a fair trial in which it is the government’s burden to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
About Naperville: Located 28 miles west of Chicago, Naperville, Ill., is home to approximately 145,000 people. This vibrant, thriving city consistently ranks as a top community in the nation in which to live, raise children and retire. The city is home to acclaimed public and parochial schools, the best public library system in the country, an array of healthcare options and an exceptionally low crime rate. Naperville has ready access to a variety of public transportation, housing and employment options. The city’s diversified employer base features high technology firms, retailers and factories, as well as small and home-based businesses. Residents also enjoy world-class parks, diverse worship options, the opportunity to serve on several City boards and commissions, a thriving downtown shopping and dining area, a renowned outdoor history museum known as Naper Settlement and an active civic community. For more information, please visit our website at www.naperville.il.us.