Naperville Experiencing Localized Flooding with Additional Rain Forecast
Residents encouraged to use caution around floodwaters and monitor online map for updates on road closures
Several areas of the city are experiencing localized flooding due to the 2.5 inches of rain recorded since Monday. With a flash flood watch currently in affect for our area and additional rain forecast over the next several days, the City of Naperville is encouraging residents to use caution around floodwaters and monitor the online Waze map at https://www.waze.com/livemap for updates on road closures.
Residents are reminded to take the following precautions during periods of excessive rainfall:
- Stay out of all flood waters; trying to navigate the fast-moving, debris-filled flood waters can lead to risky rescue situations and tragic circumstances.
- Avoid skin contact with the flood water because it can be contaminated.
- Do not consume anything exposed to flood water, and keep flood water out of your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Move to high ground if you find yourself in an area where flooding is occurring.
- Do not attempt to drive on a flooded road, even if the water appears to be shallow.
- Do not push your vehicle out of the water. If it is stuck, get out and find higher ground.
- Do not park near a stream, river or place that could easily flood.
- Make a plan in case your home or business floods.
Additional flooding information and resources are available at www.naperville.il.us/stormwater.
To report flooded roadways, call City Dispatch at (630) 420-6187. City staff will update the live Waze map online throughout the evening to reflect all known closed and impassable roadways.
About Naperville: Located 28 miles west of Chicago, Naperville, Ill., is home to approximately 145,000 people. This vibrant, thriving city consistently ranks as a top community in the nation in which to live, raise children and retire. The city is home to acclaimed public and parochial schools, the best public library system in the country, an array of healthcare options and an exceptionally low crime rate. Naperville has ready access to a variety of public transportation, housing and employment options. The city’s diversified employer base features high technology firms, retailers and factories, as well as small and home-based businesses. Residents also enjoy world-class parks, diverse worship options, the opportunity to serve on several City boards and commissions, a thriving downtown shopping and dining area, a renowned outdoor history museum known as Naper Settlement and an active civic community. For more information, please visit our website at www.naperville.il.us.