Naperville's Local Landmarks
In addition to the Naperville local historic district, the City maintains a local register of historic landmarks. Local landmarks are designated by the Naperville City Council and are subject to the same regulations as properties located within the local historic district.
The following four properties have been recognized as local historic landmarks:
- The Truitt House, 48 E. Jefferson Ave.
The Truitt House was designated a local landmark in 1990. It was constructed in 1916 and was designed by Harry Robinson, who was the chief draftsman in Frank Lloyd Wright's office. The structure is a good example of Prairie School design. Dr. Truitt was one of the city's most prominent physicians and used this structure as a residence and medical office.
Property survey and ordinance for the Truitt House
- Thomas Clow House, 5212 Book Road
The Thomas Clow House was designated a local landmark in 1991. The home was built in 1868 and is comprised of limestone. The residence was considered a fine example of mid-19th century Greek Revival Farmhouse style in the architectural survey conducted by Granacki Historic Consultants.
Property survey and ordinance for the Thomas Clow House
- Naperville Woman's Club, 14 S. Washington St.
The Naperville Woman’s Club was designated a local landmark in 2011. The structure is classified as a charming Gothic Revival church and is a key building in Naperville’s downtown. It was constructed in 1899 and is comprised of a locally quarried limestone and stained-glass windows. The building was originally built for the German Evangelical People’s Church in 1899 and has been occupied by the Naperville Woman’s Club since 1925.
Property survey and ordinance for the Naperville Woman's Club
- Old Nichol's Library, 110 S. Washington St.
Old Nichol’s Library was designated as a local landmark in 2017. Old Nichol’s Library was designed by M.E. Bell in a Richardsonian Romanesque style. The structure was used as a library until 1986 and was Naperville’s first public library. The Old Nichol’s Library is a key building in Naperville’s downtown. After the library use, Truth Lutheran church utilized the property as a religious institution until 2017.
Property survey and ordinance for the Old Nichol's Library
To learn more about how to landmark a property, visit the Regulations for Historic Districts and Landmarked Properties page.