2018 International Building Code Update
The City of Naperville has adopted the 2018 edition of the International Codes published by the International Code Council for residential, commercial and multi-family construction. The City has also adopted amendments to 2018 International Codes, which can be found in Title 5 of the Municipal Code.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2017 National Electric Code (NFPA 70)
- 2006 International Code Council Electrical Administrative Provisions
- 2018 Life Safety Code (NFPA 101)
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code, Current Edition
- National Fire Code (NFPA), Current Edition
- Illinois State Plumbing Code, Current Edition
- Illinois Accessibility Code, Current Edition
- Local Amendments per Naperville Municipal Code
All permits submitted on or after March 1, 2019 must comply with the new codes.
Illinois Energy Conservation Code Updates
Permits applied for on or after January 1, 2016, are subject to the 2015 IECC and ASHRAE 90.1-2013 with Illinois amendments.
New Commercial Building Concept Approval
When an addition to commercial structures or new structure is being planned, complete a Concept Meeting Request Form to be assigned a City project manager.
Occupying an Existing Business Space?
Attendance at a Tenant Build-Out Meeting is required. Tenant Build-Out (TBO) is a meeting for new businesses looking to occupy an existing commercial, retail or industrial space. Even if you are just "changing the name on the door", it is important to attend this meeting. TBO offers a "one-stop-shop" type experience where you will be able to meet one-on-one with City officials representing the building, fire and planning departments, as well as the electric utility. If you are planning to make changes to an existing business space, they can review your proposal and confirm any permit requirements for you.