Animal Control Internship
The Naperville Police Department offers qualified individuals the opportunity to complete a 8-12 week, unpaid internship working alongside the department's Animal Care and Control Unit.
Position Title: General Animal Care and Control Internship
Reports to: Animal Control Supervisor
Location: Naperville Police Department - City of Naperville, IL
Students will benefit by gaining hands-on experience through field service events, involving both domestic and wildlife, plus animal care and sheltering. Interns can engage in a variety of responsibilities, including daily feeding, cleaning of animal areas, exercising of dogs, and monitoring and following through with medical and behavior observation. In the field, an intern will assist the animal control officer in enforcing City ordinances and handling service calls. This opportunity allows a student who has a passion for animal welfare to take an active role in the community.
Applications are currently being accepted until March 15, 2019.
Internship Duration and Schedule
- 20-30 hours per week
- Total of 8-12 weeks
- May-September available
- Interns work a varied schedule, including weekends and holidays. Weekday hours will fall between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Weekend hours will fall between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The Police Department offers internships for students seeking academic credit. These positions are unpaid and operate within the guidelines of each college or university.
The program will provide an integrated learning experience in which participants will:
- Learn and demonstrate best practices in animal care and gain hands-on animal care experience;
- Gain an understanding of the history, services, and basic operations of Naperville Animal Control; and
- Be inspired and gain the tools to take action in their own communities to save the lives of animals.
The Animal Care and Control intern will:
- Learn and understand cleaning protocols and participate in the daily cleaning routine for each animal area;
- Learn about basic animal care for various species, feeding, animal behavior and socialization;
- Assist with animal intakes and reclaims;
- Work with staff to create and post social media content;
- Answer phones, perform data entry and filing;
- Assist with other projects as needed.
Application Submission Requirements
- All candidates must complete and submit a written application prior to March 15, 2019.
- Applicants will be contacted by the Animal Control Supervisor for either an interview or that he/she is no longer in consideration for the internship. Selections will be made after the designated applicants have been interviewed.
Required Forms and Documents
Applicants must submit the following via email to Joanne Aul, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Internship Application
- Internship Background Waiver
- Resume and cover letter indicating the desired duration of the internship
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of enrollment and academic requirements from the applicant’s college or university
- Interns must carry health and injury insurance during their internship. Proof of medical insurance coverage must be submitted prior to the intern’s start date.
*** Hours are not guaranteed and are subject to the needs of the Animal Control Unit within the Naperville Police Department***