Water Street District Development
Work on this project began the week of April 6, 2015, and will continue until fall 2016. Lend Lease is the general contractor for this project. Sections of the Water Street development have been fenced off for safety purposes.
While the development is under construction, Water Street is closed to vehicles and pedestrians. Webster Street will remain open to maintain access to the Naperville Township building and Municipal Center parking deck, though there may be temporary traffic interruptions. The alley between Aurora Avenue and Main Street will be closed for a portion of the project as it will also be reconstructed. A temporary parking lot at the corner of Aurora Avenue and Webster Street will be provided for patrons of the businesses on Aurora Avenue while the alley is closed.
The City does not anticipate major interruptions to Main Street or Aurora Avenue. The portion of the Riverwalk adjoining the development from just west of the covered bridge at Webster Street east to the stairway past the Main Street Bridge will be closed to pedestrians throughout the duration of the project.
Delivery of the materials needed to build the development may require temporary disruption of traffic at adjacent intersections. Motorists should use caution while driving in the area and construction activities are underway.
- Project Overview
The Water Street District development is a public-private partnership to redevelop the properties along Water Street between Main Street and Webster Street in downtown Naperville. Marquette Property Investments Inc. plans to demolish the existing buildings on the block (excluding the Naperville Township and Moser Plaza buildings) and build several new building with commercial and hotel uses.
The project will also feature several new public amenities that include:
- A 500+ space parking deck
- Reconstructed and improved Riverwalk
- Reconstruction of Water Street with downtown streetscape elements
Details on the proposed development are available on Marquette’s project website.
- Current Activity
- Begin exterior wall framing
- Exterior masonry to continue
- Exterior masonry to continue
- Window install to begin
- MEP rough-in to continue
- Roofing to begin
- Topping concrete to be completed
- Exterior sheathing to continue
- Roof install to begin
- Exterior sheathing to begin
- Hotel 1st and 2nd floor finishes to continue
- Overhead fire doors completed
- Guestroom units to continue
- Parking structure paint completed
- Lighting trim to continue
- Striping and traffic coating to begin
- Signage install to begin
- Boardwalk piers completed
- Upper boardwalk wall completed
- Lower Riverwalk lighting to be completed
- Lower Riverwalk landscaping to begin
- Curb work along Webster St. to begin
Future periodic alley closures will be required for work along the alley. Alley work will be coordinated so that access from one side is maintained.
- Follow Along on Instagram
- Public Outreach
Updates on this project will be made available on this webpage throughout the duration of the project.
Construction updates on the proposed development are available on Marquette’s project website.