Downtown Beat Officer
The Downtown Beat Officer Program was originally implemented as a community policing initiative designed to improve service and communication between the downtown merchants and the police department. The Downtown Naperville Alliance has become a vital partner with our program allowing us to increase communication, build additional partners, and strengthen the department's reputation for service and problem solving.
Currently, Officer Mike Hull #5188, is assigned to this position Tuesday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The primary goal of the DBO is to enhance police service delivery in the Central Business District (CBD) through a proactive and interactive approach utilizing problem solving, coordination of resources, enhanced communication within the agency and with merchants and partnership creation. The DBO provides a modified patrol service to the CBD, which may include foot patrol, marked vehicle patrol and all-terrain vehicle patrol.
Significant responsibilities include:
- Creating/building partnerships with community and business organizations.
- Identifying and addressing downtown concerns and problems.
- Regularly attending business and/or community group meetings.
- Coordinating responses/resources of the police and other city departments.
- Providing information and training to merchants and property owners.
- Completing reports and/or memos describing situations/outlining initiatives.
- Conducting traditional patrol operations and investigative activities.
- Providing support to downtown special events.