Residents must obtain necessary building permits through Development Services before beginning any new construction or additions to existing buildings, including decks, fences or pools. Municipal codes also regulate sign installation, water softeners, air conditioners, swimming pools, fences, antennas, lawn sprinkler systems, driveways and accessory outbuildings.
For helpful tips on building permits in Naperville, download the City of Naperville's Guide to Building Permits.
Plan Review Standards
Per Ordinance 12-159, passed by the City Council in December 2012, all plans will be reviewed based on:
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2012 Illinois Energy Conservation Code
- 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Existing Building Code
- 2012 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2006 International Electric Code
- 2011 National Electric Code (N.E.C.)
- 2006 Life Safety Code
- National Fire Code (NFPA), Current Edition
- Illinois State Plumbing Code, Current Edition
- Illinois Accessibility Code, Current Edition
- Naperville Building Code Amendments, Title V
For questions about the new code requirements, contact the Development Services counter at (630) 420-6100, Option 2.
Single Family Residential Structure Checklists
These checklists have been created for residential reviewers to ensure that all plans are reviewed adequately and appropriately.
For questions, please call (630) 420-6100, Option 2, and ask to speak to a project manager.
Building Permits Online
This site allows residents and contractors with active building permit applications to view the plan tracking status of their building permit as well as schedule inspections and view inspection results, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Building Permits Online Guide (PDF) is available to help you through the process.
Building Permits Online
This application allows you to view the plan tracking status of your building permit as well as schedule inspections and view inspection results.Visit Now
Building Permits Issued Reports
Monthly building permit data can now be obtained without filing a FOIA request.
Detailed Building Permits Issued by Month
The reports linked below contain permit type, address, contractor and valuation information for all building permits issued by month. All linked files are in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format.
- 2017 - January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
- 2016 - January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
Building Permits Issued Statistics
The reports linked below include information on the types of permits issued, the comparison to the same month for the previous year and an outline of the costs estimated with each permit. These reports are not address specific, but rather demonstrate the general building activity in Naperville on a monthly basis. All linked files are in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format.