Parkway Trees - Removal and Replacement by the City
- Inspection - Trees will be inspected by a City of Naperville, ISA Certified Arborist. If removal is necessary, the inspecting arborist will contact the property owner. The tree is placed on the removal waiting list.
- Removal - The tree will be cut semi-flush to the ground by a DPW crew or contractor. All brush and debris will be hauled away.
- Grinding - The stump may be marked with a flag. The City will coordinate JULIE locates to identify any buried utilities. Once you see utility locating (colored paint and flags), the stump should be ground within 14 days, weather permitting. A stump grinder will grind up the stump and any large roots. The excess woodchips will be removed.
- Restoration - Top soil and grass seed will be used to restore the area where the stump was ground.
- Selection - The property owner will receive a packet of information in the mail that includes a selection postcard and instructions on how to make a tree selection online. The property owner may return the postcard by mail or follow instructions to make a selection online.
- Planting - The homeowner is responsible for marking the desired planting location. The planting contractor will JULIE locate the site prior to planting. For spring planting have the location marked by mid April. For fall planting have the location marked by the beginning of October.
Tree Replacement Explained
What trees will be replaced?
If a tree is removed and there is sufficient growing space both below and above ground, then the tree will be replaced.
Naperville’s planting standards require parkway trees to be:
- 30 to 40 feet from other parkway trees
- 10 feet from driveways, alleys, fire hydrants, or utility poles
- 5 feet from gas, water, electric, communication, and sewer lines
- 30 feet from corner property lines
- Centered between curb and sidewalk
Who chooses the replacement tree?
Trees in front of single or multi-family homes can be chosen by the homeowner. Trees in front of apartments, businesses, along medians or behind properties are chosen by the Department of Public Works.
What species are available?
Species options are determined for each site from a number of factors:
- Unique site requirements (e.g. overhead power lines)
- Species diversity requirements
- Planting season (some trees can only be planted in the spring)
- Availability from the nursery
- Spring 2018 selections are available to view in the Spring 2018 Parkway Tree Species Guide (PDF)
When will my tree be planted?
- Trees are planted twice a year, spring and fall. Your tree will be planted during the next available planting season.
- Spring Planting-Late April through early May.
- Fall Planting-October through November
Post-Planting Homeowner Responsibilities
As a homeowner, your responsibility to the tree does not end once it has been planted. Post-planting care is critical in the first 3 years after planting. Proper watering during the growing season, mulching and trunk protection are some of the key components of after-planting care. Please refer to the US Forest Service's Tree Owner’s Manual for detailed information on post planting care.
I have sprinklers in the parkway, will this be a problem?
Sprinklers are technically not permitted to be placed in the parkway. The City and its contractors will make reasonable efforts to avoid damaging sprinkler systems that may be located in this area; however, the City and/or contractor will not be responsible if the sprinkler is damaged.
Who calls JULIE?
Under Illinois law, the person doing the digging is responsible for contacting JULIE for locates at least 48 hours prior to the start of work.
Should I stake my tree?
Staking is usually unnecessary. If your tree does start leaning from a storm or wind, the City will stake the tree. The resident should remove these in one year to avoid trunk girdling.
My brand new tree has already died, what now?
Please call the Department of Public Works at (630) 420-6095 to report this. The trees are under warranty from the nursery for a one year period. The City will have your tree replaced as soon as possible.