Annual Budget and Audit Report
Annual Operating Budget
The adopted Annual Operating Budget is provided below in PDF format for your convenience. The budget includes an overview section designed to reduce the level of difficult for readers unfamiliar with public budgeting systems. The budget provides comprehensive information for staff to use as a financial policy and day-to-day operation guideline. The document is intended to be a tool in managing daily operations.
- 2020 Annual Operating Budget - (PDF)
- 2019 Annual Operating Budget - (PDF)
- 2018 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2017 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2016 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
Capital Improvement Program
Included in the annual budget is an updated Capital Improvement Program (CIP), which is a plan summarizing all major capital expenditures over the next five years. The plan provides structure for the City to plan future projects. The CIP includes a description of each approved project, along with detailed financial requirements and financing sources. A project qualifies for inclusion in the CIP if it meets the following criteria:
- Has a minimum value of $50,000;
- Has a multiple-year useful life; and
- Results in a fixed asset.
Previous CIP documents are provided below:
The budget development process is extensive and in-depth and includes a series of discussion between staff and City Council. Discussions are structured as public workshops and review the proposed revenues and expenditures for the budget year. Additional, workshops address operating and capital improvement budgets across all City funds and departments.
2020 Budget Presentations
2020 Monthly COVID-19 Financial Updates
City staff is closely monitoring Naperville’s finances as the City moves through the COVID-19 pandemic and into an economic recovery phase. Monthly reports to the City Council will provide an overview of the current status of policies and orders impacting recovery; how the City is reducing expenses; and trends to watch in revenue sources; especially state taxes that may be closely tied to industries that were heavily impacted by COVID-19, like restaurants, retail, and hotels.
The city reviews the financial position of each department and fund on a monthly basis. Reports on the City’s financial position in relation to the budget and previous year are provided below.
2020 Monthly Financial Reports
2019 Quarterly Financial Reports
2018 Quarterly Financial Reports
The City identified three principles in an effort to provide services ensuring a high quality of life for our residents through fiscal management and financial stability.
Principle 1 – The City will pass a structurally balanced operating budget annually
Principle 2 – The City commits to continuous improvement in the delivery of necessary and cost-effective services
Principle 3 – The City will actively seek to increase its reserves to 25 percent and reduce its debt by 25 percent in the next eight years
The principles provide staff with a structure to implement new initiatives designed to create a sustainable financial plan for the city. Staff continues to seek future opportunities based on the three principles.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
The Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) details the results of the City’s most recent audit. Past reports are linked below. State law, as well as local ordinances, require the City publish the report within six months of the close of each fiscal year, including a complete set of financial statements presented in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and audited in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards by a firm of licensed certified public accountants.
- 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2017 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2016 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2015 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report - 8-Month Ended December 31, 2015
- 2015 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2014 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
Payroll Budget Report
Open Meeting Acts Compliance
Illinois Public Act 097-0609 (5 ILCS 120-7.3), effective Jan 1, 2012, requires municipal employers participating in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund post employee compensation information. Information on employee total compensation packages equal to or exceeding $150,000 a year must be posted at least six days before approval and employees with a total compensation packages that exceeds $75,000 per year must be posted within six days of budget approval. At its discretion, in order to be fully transparent, the City of Naperville posted the complete City payroll budget for Calendar Year 2020 on the City website. The budget reflects employees on the payroll and budgeted individual benefit packages based on participation for Calendar Year 2020. Union wage and benefit increases are included as per agreed contracts, general wage increase assumptions have been applied across all other employee groups.
Annual Treasurer's Report
Each year, municipal treasurers prepare and file an account of moneys received and expenditures incurred during the preceding fiscal year as specified by the State of Illinois under statue 65 ILCS 5/3.1-35-65.
The report provided below includes all moneys received and paid by the City of Naperville during Calendar Year 2016, as well as a summary statement of operations for all funds and account groups.
Collective Bargaining Agreements
The following are the current Collective Bargaining Agreements for the City of Naperville.
- FOP Lodge 42 (May 1, 2015 - December 31, 2019)
- IAFF Local No. 4302 Professional Firefighters (May 1, 2016 - December 31, 2019)
- IBEW Local No. 9 Electric Utility (May 1, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IL FOP Detention Officers (May 1, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IL FOP Telecommunicators (May 2, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IUOE Local No. 150 Equipment Operators (May 1, 2013 - December 31, 2021) Updated April 2018
- IUOE Local No. 150 Field Supervisors (May 1, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IUOE Local No. 150 Fleet (January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IUOE Local No. 150 Water & Wastewater Utility Field Supervisors (January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2022)
- IUOE Local No. 196 Water & Wastewater Utility (May 1, 2016 - December 31, 2020)
- IUOE Local No. 399 PBO (May 1, 2016 - December 30, 2019)
- MAP Ch. 363 Sergeants (May 1, 2015 - December 31, 2019)
- MAP Ch. 582 Civilians (May 1, 2015 - December 31, 2018)
- MAP Ch. 744 Civilians Unit 2 (January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2022)