Annual Budget and Financial Reports
Annual Operating Budget
The adopted Annual Operating Budget is provided below in PDF format for your convenience. The budget includes an overview section designed to reduce the level of difficulty for readers unfamiliar with public budgeting systems. The budget provides comprehensive information for staff to use as a financial policy and day-to-day operation guidelines. The document is intended to be a tool for managing daily operations.
- 2024 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2023 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2022 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2021 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2020 Annual Operating Budget (PDF)
Capital Improvement Program
Included in the annual budget is an updated Capital Improvement Program (CIP), which is a plan summarizing all major capital expenditures over the next five years. The plan provides the structure for the City to plan future projects. The CIP includes a description of each approved project, along with detailed financial requirements and financing sources. A project qualifies for inclusion in the CIP if it meets the following criteria:
- Has a minimum value of $50,000;
- Has a multiple-year useful life; and
- Results in a fixed asset.
The budget development process is extensive and includes a series of discussions between staff and the City Council. Discussions are structured as public workshops and review the proposed revenues and expenditures for the upcoming budget year. Additionally, workshops address operating and capital improvement budgets across all City funds and departments.
2024 Budget Presentations
- Workshop #1: Capital - Aug. 29, 2023
- Workshop #2: Operations and Service Delivery - Sept. 26, 2023
- Workshop #3: Budget Overview - Oct. 24, 2023
- Workshop #4: Budget Overview - Nov. 14, 2023 - CANCELED
City Council Financial Updates
Reports to the City Council provide an overview of the current status of the City's finances so that Naperville's policymakers can take measured approaches to the City's budget.
Current Year - 2023
- March (2022 Preliminary Year-End Financial Report)
- July (2023 2nd Quarter Financial Report and 2024 Budget Preview)
- October (2023 3rd Quarter Financial Report)
Previous Year - 2022
The City reviews the financial position of each department and fund every month. Reports on the City’s financial position are provided below.
Current Year - 2023
Previous Year - 2022
Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
The Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) details the results of the City’s most recent audit. Past reports are linked below. State law, as well as local ordinances, require the City publish the report within six months of the close of each fiscal year, including a complete set of financial statements presented in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and audited in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards by a firm of licensed certified public accountants.
- 2022 Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- 2021 Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- 2020 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2019 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
Payroll Budget Report
Illinois Public Act 097-0609 (5 ILCS 120-7.3), effective Jan 1, 2012, requires municipal employers participating in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund to post employee compensation information. Information on employee total compensation packages equal to or exceeding $150,000 a year must be posted at least six days before approval. Employees with a total compensation package exceeding $75,000 per year must be posted within six days of budget approval.
To be fully transparent, the City of Naperville posts the complete City payroll budget at its discretion. The budget reflects employees on the payroll and budgeted individual benefit packages based on participation for the specified calendar year. Union wage and benefit increases are included as per agreed contracts, general wage increase assumptions have been applied across all other employee groups.
- 2024 Payroll Report (PDF)
IMRF Employer Cost & Participation Information
Illinois Public Act 101-0504, which amended the Illinois Pension Code, requires municipalities that participate in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) to post a link to IMRF’s Employer Cost & Participation Information webpage on the municipality’s website.
Transparency in Coverage – Machine-Readable Files
The Transparency in Coverage Act final rule, released on October 29, 2020, requires health plans and carriers to publicly disclose pricing information via machine-readable files (MRFs). MRFs are intended for third-party technology developers, as they are written in computer code, not English. Click here to access the City of Naperville MRF.
Annual Treasurer's Report
Each year, municipal treasurers prepare and file an account of monies received and expenditures incurred during the preceding fiscal year as specified by the State of Illinois under statue 65 ILCS 5/3.1-35-65.
The reports provided below includes all moneys received and paid by the City of Naperville during the specified year, as well as a summary statement of operations for all funds and account groups.
- 2022 Treasurer's Report (PDF)
- 2021 Treasurer's Report (PDF)
- 2020 Treasurer's Report (PDF)
- 2019 Treasurer's Report (PDF)
- 2018 Treasurer's Report (PDF)
Collective Bargaining Agreements
The following are the current collective bargaining agreements for the City of Naperville.
- FOP Lodge 42 (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2024)
- IAFF Local No. 4302 Professional Firefighters (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2024)
- IBEW Local No. 9 Electric Utility (January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2025)
- IBEW Local No. 196 Water & Wastewater Utility (January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2025)
- IL FOP Detention Officers (January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2025)
- IL FOP Telecommunicators (January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2025)
- IUOE Local No. 150 Equipment Operators (January 1, 2022 - December 31, 2026) Updated November 2022
- IUOE Local No. 150 Fleet (January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2025)
- IUOE Local No. 150 Water & Wastewater Utility Field Supervisors (January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2022)
- IUOE Local No. 399 PBO (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2024)
- MAP Ch. 363 Sergeants (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2024)
- MAP Ch. 582 Civilians (January 1 2019 thru December 31 2022)
- MAP Ch. 744 Civilians Unit 2 (January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2027)