What's Next, Naperville?
The City of Naperville is currently working on a strategic planning process with Shockey Consulting to identify the City’s vision for the future and develop a roadmap with specific goals and actions to achieve it.
Preliminary work with the consultant began in February 2021 and will continue into the fall with a focus on planning sessions with city leaders and elected officials in addition to public engagement to ensure that viewpoints and values are gathered from all of Naperville’s stakeholder groups.
The process will challenge all involved to identify what they believe is most important for the City to allocate resources (financial and personnel) to those areas considered to be of highest priority.
The City’s strategic planning process will:
- Involve input from the public, elected officials, and city staff
- Evaluate and align existing plans
- Prioritize programs, policies, and initiatives
- Evaluate priorities in light of existing revenue and personnel
- Recommend additional resources as needed
- Recommend redirecting resources as needed
- Establish outcomes measures to monitor progress
Input from residents and businesses is needed to help determine our city’s priorities for the next three years! We will rely heavily on online engagement to provide a safe way for all to participate in the strategic planning process during the pandemic. We hope to add in-person engagement opportunities as health regulations and community acceptance allows.
Please visit our engagement hub, www.BridgetoPossibility.org to learn more, take our NapervilleNext Survey, and connect with your neighbors on important questions like these:
- How can the City help businesses and residents bounce back from COVID?
- How do we create and maintain a variety of housing options, styles, and price ranges?
- How will we revitalize strip shopping centers for tomorrow?
- How do we ensure resiliency to natural and man-made disasters?
- How can we inclusively engage all Naperville residents, including those that don’t usually get involved?
Paper copies of the survey are also available at the following locations:
- Naperville Municipal Center, 400 S. Eagle St.
- Nichols Library, 200 W. Jefferson Ave.
- Naper Boulevard Library, 2035 S. Naper Blvd.
- 95th Street Library, 3015 Cedar Glade Rd.
- Fort Hill Activity Center, 20 Fort Hill Dr.
- 95th Street Center, 2244 W. 95th St.
- Riverwalk Community Center, 305 W. Jackson Ave.
Public Engagement Plan
Phase I Engagement
The initial phase of public engagement, which will take place in May and June, will gather input for the community vision and priorities for city services. Public input will be gathered through a community survey, which will be available online and on paper, and supplementary activities on the Strategic Plan website, www.BridgetoPossibility.org. Elected officials and city staff will use this input to draft a vision and a set of goals and strategies which will be shared with the public during Phase II engagement.
Phase II Engagement
The second phase of public engagement, taking place in July and August, will share preliminary goals and strategies with the community for their consideration. Community meetings will take place during this phase in the format determined most appropriate based on health and safety conditions at the time.
Elected officials and city staff will use feedback gathered during Phase II to develop specific implementation actions for the final plan. Adoption of a final plan is anticipated this fall.
Ongoing Digital Engagement
Throughout Phases I and II, the Strategic Plan will host an online platform at www.BridgetoPossibility.org. Topic specific activities including quick polls, online discussion forums, and ideas boards will provide additional opportunities for public input.
We’ll use community input along with deliberations with the City Council and city staff to develop the strategic plan. The final plan will include a community-inspired vision for the future, top priorities and the actions needed to address them, and a plan to measure and report progress.