Residential Garbage Collection
When is my garbage and recycling collection day?View Map
On May 1, Groot Industries began providing weekly garbage, recycling and yard waste collection service for the City of Naperville. As of May 1, residents pay a $12.95 monthly residential refuse/recycling fee on their utility bills. This agreement, which runs through 2029, delivers the best value over the next 10 years and continues to be one of the most competitive rates in the Chicagoland area.
Questions or concerns regarding garbage collection, or a missed pick up should be directed to Groot Industries at (630) 892-9294 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Here is important information you need to know about the 10-year contract with Groot Industries.
- Your Basic Service – Groot will provide weekly garbage and recycling collection.
- Your Garbage and Recycling Carts – You can continue to use your existing garbage and recycling carts. You do NOT need to purchase new carts.
- Your Collection Day – There is no change to your current collection day. Please continue to place your carts on the curb by 6 a.m. There is no change to current collection day schedules. Residents should continue to place their carts on the curb by 6 a.m. on their collection day, as the time of pickup may vary for the next several weeks as Groot transitions into the Naperville routes.
- Large Household Item/Appliance Collection – Groot will provide free collection of two large household items (mattresses, box springs, furniture) and one large appliance (refrigerators, stoves) each week.
- Weekly Yard Waste Collection – Weekly yard waste collection will take place from mid-March to mid-December with the option to use stickered yard waste bags or rent a 95-gallon yard waste cart through Groot that may also be used to recycle organics/food scraps. Residents must use Groot yard waste stickers on bagged and bundled yard waste starting May 1. The cost of yard waste stickers and Groot’s yard waste/organics cart rental program will change. For details, visit www.naperville.il.us/yardwaste.
- Free Seasonal Collections – You will continue to receive unlimited free bagged yard waste collection for a six-week period beginning in late fall. (The 2019 free bagged yard waste program runs from Nov. 4 to Dec. 13.) In addition, free Christmas tree collection will take place during the first two full weeks of January each year.
- Recycling Drop-Off Center – Residents can still access the recycling drop-off center from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Public Works Service Center, 180 Fort Hill Dr., every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Additional customer service opportunities – Groot will provide a dedicated customer service office, phone line and website for Naperville customers. A phone app will provide program information, educational materials and the ability to sign up for weekly text reminders and alerts regarding collection schedule delays due to holidays and weather.
- At-Home Electronics Pickup – Groot will allow you to schedule an at-home electronics pickup for a fee.
- Vehicles - Previously, Groot only serviced Naperville’s recycling needs. Now, Groot trucks will collect both your garbage and recycling. Contractor vehicles will be powered by CNG fuel, which is more environmentally friendly.
Please refer to the Yard Waste Collection page for information on how the new contract will impact the yard waste collection program.
There is no collection on:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
When a collection falls on one of these observed holidays, garbage collection will be one day later for the remainder of the week. Residents whose regular collection occurs on Friday will have their garbage and recycling picked up on Saturday.
- Trash must be placed on the curb by 6 a.m on your collection day.
- Empty containers must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m on your collection day.
- Containers may be up to 32-gallon in capacity and 60 pounds in weight unless using Naperville garbage carts. Naperville garbage carts come in 35-, 68- or 95-gallon sizes and are limited to 220 pounds so trucks can lift them.
- Containers should be sufficiently strong to prevent spills and wind-carry.
- Furniture and appliances are included in the normal collection.
- Tires, hazardous liquids and landscape materials are banned from landfills and cannot be collected with normal trash.
Limited quantities of remodeling or construction materials, such as rolled carpeting, bathroom fixtures, cabinets, wood or drywall will be collected weekly.
- Carpeting must be placed at the curb in rolls measuring no more than 4 feet long and 2 feet wide and weigh no more than 60 pounds. A maximum of 2 rolls of carpeting is allowed per week.
- Construction materials, such as drywall and wood paneling, must either be in containers that do not exceed 60 pounds or tied in bundles measuring 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and weigh less than 60 pounds. A maximum of two 32-gallon cans, 2 bundles or one of each is allowed to be set out for collection per week.
Beginning May 1, 2019, Groot will collect one appliance, such as freezers, air conditioners, washers, dryers, dishwashers, hot water tanks and dehumidifiers, a week at no additional charge.
Bulk & Oversized Item Disposal
Beginning May 1, 2019, two bulk items (not appliances or oversized/overweight items) my be discarded per week at no additional cost.
Bulk items include boxes, barrels, crates, furniture and similar items that do not fit into a proper container and can be collected/lifted by one driver without assistance. Exceptions include items which are banned from direct disposal into a landfill, such as appliances, tires, car batteries, televisions and electronic waste.
Oversized and overweight items, such as pianos, hot tubs or any items that require two or more people to lift, require a special pickup and an additional charge.
Christmas Tree Collection
Live Christmas tree collection takes place the first two full weeks of January each year. Trees should be placed at the curb for pickup on your normal garbage collection day and be free of tinsel, decorations, lights, etc. The first collection week will begin on Monday, January 6, 2020. The second collection week begins on Monday, January 13, 2020.