Receive the City of Naperville information that matters to you the most when you want it, the way you want it.
The City of Naperville is committed to keeping the public safe and informed about events that impact their lives. Naper Notify allows the City to quickly and directly send messages to individuals or groups on various devices to keep them informed throughout a significant event in the City.
Naper Notify lets you sign up to receive emergency and community messages through a cell phone, work phone, home phone, text message, or email. You can also choose locations you'd like to be contacted about if you like. You can receive notifications about emergencies that may affect your home, your parent’s home, your workplace, or your child’s school – or any other location of interest and importance to you – as long as those locations are within Naperville.
Update or change your Naper Notify account preferences
Types of Notifications
Naper Notify allows the City of Naperville to relay timely and essential information quickly. The system communicates two types of messages: Emergency Notifications and Community Notifications.
In an emergency, the City will contact individuals or groups in a certain area that can be affected by a crisis. Emergency notifications are used in a situation that has an effect or may have an impact on a certain number of people involving immediate or pending threats to public safety or property and where immediate notification is necessary. Emergency notifications can be sent Citywide at any time of day or night if the circumstances of the event dictate this type of widespread notification to be necessary.
Please note: The City of Naperville is not using Naper Notify as a watch or warning system for potentially threatening weather-related events. If inclement weather creates any hazards or situations that affect City services, the system is used to notify individuals of those affected services, such as road closures and utility outages.
The City encourages residents and businesses to proactively seek weather-related information from official channels such as the National Weather Service or their preferred local media outlet. It is a best practice to have a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio at your residence or business that broadcasts official Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts, and other hazard information 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In addition, the National Weather Service issues official weather watches and warnings and is authorized to send wireless emergency alerts with certain warning information, including tornado warnings. (These are automatic emergency messages with a unique tone sent to cell phones in areas where specific weather warnings are issued.) You can check your cell phone’s settings to ensure this feature is not turned off.
Community notifications are meant to notify residents and interested parties about events or projects that may temporarily impact their day-to-day routine but do not impact health or safety. The City will contact individuals with this type of information only if they choose to receive this type of news.
Per the City's policy, community notifications can be sent between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. Due to the nature of certain categories, messages may be sent in the earlier or later hours of this timeframe. The City will send notifications as it deems appropriate based on the need and type of message.
Below are the community notification categories the City of Naperville is making available:
- Brush & Leaf Collection – Information about these annual programs and when they will occur in your neighborhood.
- Utility Outages – Information about scheduled outages of any duration and unplanned outages anticipated to be four or more hours in duration or impacting a large segment of the City.
- Public Safety – Information about public safety topics, including safety tips and announcements, crime and fire prevention information, public safety events, crime alerts, code compliance information and animal control information.
- Road & Utility Work (Neighborhood) – Information about localized neighborhood road work and utility projects such as parkway tree trimming, storm system repair, alley reconstructions, tree trimming around City power lines, sanitary sewer lining, planned water main repairs and hydrant repairs/replacement.
- Special Event Alerts – Information about major and minor special events occurring in the City of Naperville, including dates, times, locations, street closures, parking lot closures, and other important event information.
- Traffic Alerts (Major Roadways) – Information about major arterial roadway projects taking place in the City or unanticipated and sudden road closures (e.g., due to a traffic crash).
- Winter Operations – Information on snow removal operations in the City, including plowing operations and anticipated snowfall, as well as reminders about the City’s interactive snow plowing map.
Upon registration and sign-in with the system, individuals can select which Community Notification categories they would like to receive.
Terms and Conditions
By signing up for the Naper Notify system, you agree to the information in the terms and conditions (PDF).