Household Hazardous Waste Facility
IN OBSERVANCE OF CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S, THE HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY WILL BE CLOSED ON:
- SATURDAY DECEMBER 24, AND SUNDAY DECEMBER 25.
- SATURDAY DECEMBER 31, AND SUNDAY JANUARY 1.
Due to a fire at the IEPA’s waste processing plant, we need to make some changes to how we operate our Household Hazardous Waste facility at this time. Effective immediately, and until further notice, Naperville’s Household Hazardous Waste facility temporarily CANNOT accept following items:
- aerosol cans
- asbestos materials
- batteries (marine, sump pump and non-alkaline)
- household cleaners, drain openers and pool chemicals
- unknown hazardous substances
A full list of what is/is not accepted is available below. Please check the list before bringing items to the facility, which may see increased wait times due to these changes. Notice will be posted when restrictions are removed. Please call 630-420-6095 with questions. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
The Household Hazardous Waste facility in Naperville is open and available to all residents of Illinois. Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted.
The Household Hazardous Waste Facility is open every Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
No appointment is necessary, and there is no fee for using the facility.
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material to avoid having personal items collected by a hazmat crew member.
- Expect that there may be a wait. This facility is one of only four household hazardous waste sites in Illinois. Hazardous materials dropped off are processed for disposal as they are received at the facility. Please only bring accepted items to help expedite the collection process.
Accepted/Not Accepted Items
Due to a fire at the IEPA’s waste processing plant, the City needs to make some changes to the Household Hazardous Waste facility's operations at this time. Effective immediately, and until further notice, Naperville’s Household Hazardous Waste facility can only accept a limited list of items. Many common items normally accepted such as pesticides, fertilizers and cleaning solutions cannot be accepted at this time. Notice will be posted when restrictions are removed. Please call 630-420-6095 with questions.
ACCEPTED Household Items
- Automotive fluids (including oil, gasoline and anti-freeze)
- Automotive (lead acid) batteries
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFLs (sealed, unbroken only)
- Paints and stains (oil-based only)
- Peanut oil (cooking oils)
- Non-controlled prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Propane tanks up to 20 lbs.
- Solvents and strippers
Items NOT Accepted
- Compressed gas (other than propane)
- Empty spray cans and containers
- Helium tanks
- Latex Paint (see below)
- Paper, glass, metal, wood and Styrofoam
- Radioactive materials
- Sharps (needles or lancets)
- Smoke detectors
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
- Alkaline Batteries (household batteries)
- Aerosol cans
- Asbestos materials (in a size that will fit in a 55-gallon drum and not in excess of 50 pounds)
- Batteries (marine, sump pump and non-alkaline)
- Household cleaners, drain openers and pool chemicals
- Poison, pesticides and fertilizers
- Unknown hazardous substances
Latex Paint and Stain Disposal and Recycling
Latex paint is not a hazardous material. To discard leftover latex paint in the trash it must first be hardened. Leave the lid off or, to expedite the process, add an absorbent such as cat litter, oil dry or saw dust. Once the liquid paint is absorbed, place the can in the garbage with the lid off, so the driver can tell the paint is dry.
- City of Naperville - (630) 420-6095
- DuPage County - (630) 407-6700
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) - (217) 782-9261
- City of Aurora - (630) 844-3621
- Kane County - (630) 208-3841
- Will County - (815) 727-8834