Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The Household Hazardous Waste facility in Naperville is open and available to all residents of Illinois. Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted.
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material to avoid having personal items collected by a hazmat crew member.
- Expect that there may be a wait. This facility is one of only four household hazardous waste sites in Illinois. Hazardous materials dropped off are processed for disposal as they are received at the facility. Please only bring accepted items to help expedite the collection process.
Accepted Household Items
- Aerosol cans
- Automotive fluids (including oil, gasoline and anti-freeze)
- Asbestos materials (in a size that will fit in a 55-gallon drum and not in excess of 50 pounds)
- Batteries (including automotive, marine and sump pump)
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFLs (sealed, unbroken only)
- Household cleaners, drain openers and pool chemicals
- Paints and stains (oil-based only)
- Peanut oil
- Poison, pesticides and fertilizers
- Non-controlled prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Propane tanks (20 pounds)
- Solvents and strippers
- Unknown hazardous substances
Items NOT Accepted
- Compressed gas (other than propane)
- Empty spray cans and containers
- Helium tanks
- Latex Paint (see below)
- Paper, glass, metal, wood and Styrofoam
- Radioactive materials
- Sharps (needles or lancets)
- Smoke detectors
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
Latex Paint and Stain Disposal and Recycling
Latex paint is not a hazardous material. To discard leftover latex paint in the trash it must first be hardened. Leave the lid off or, to expedite the process, add an absorbent such as cat litter, oil dry or saw dust. Once the liquid paint is absorbed, place the can in the garbage with the lid off, so the driver can tell the paint is dry.
- City of Naperville - (630) 420-6095
- DuPage County - (630) 407-6700
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) - (217) 782-9261
- City of Aurora - (630) 844-3621
- Kane County - (630) 208-3841
- Will County - (815) 727-8834