Additional Resources - Who to Contact

Many drainage issues are caused by problems found on an individual property. In instances where drainage problems are identified as a localized problem for a particular property and not an area-wide issue, the City is not responsible for correcting the problem.

In worst-case scenarios, stormwater flooding can lead to damage of your yard or property. In some cases, water can enter the lower level or basement such that it causes damage to personal property inside a home or other structure. When water reaches that critical level, it may warrant spending time and money to correct the problem.

Hiring the Right Company

There are several local companies that provide services related to drainage, seepage and flooding problems for localized problems. When dealing with flooding and draining issues, you may find it useful to follow the following guidelines when searching for the right company to meet your needs.

  1. The City of Naperville is not in a position to promote, recommend or qualify one company over another. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to determine the qualifications of individual companies.
  2. It is recommended that homeowners call several companies before hiring an individual or company to provide services. (Additional companies can be found in the telephone yellow pages, on the internet or by asking friends and neighbors for references).
  3. It is recommended that you compare services, past work experiences and price estimates before hiring an individual or company to provide any service.
  4. Be sure to check on local codes, permit requirements and whether or not contractors are properly licensed and insured.

When to Contact the City

Certain situations, such as water flowing into basement windows or doors during a flooding event may be considered a source of local flooding and may warrant review by the City. Please use the following guidelines when contacting the city for help.

Flooding to Your Home or Building

To report flooding in the first floor of a building or structure, please contact:

Stormwater Services Team

400 S. Eagle St.
Naperville, IL 60540
TEL: (630) 305-5534

Sump Pump Concerns

Connect Your Sump Pump to a City Sewer Drain
Sump pumps cannot be connected to the sanitary sewer or your basement floor drain. If there is a storm sewer in your yard, you may be able to connect your sump pump discharge directly to it, at your own cost. For more information, please contact:

Public Works Service Center

180 Fort Hill Drive
Naperville, IL 60540
TEL: (630) 305-5369

Sump Pump Discharge on Public Property
To report sump pump discharge onto a sidewalk, parkway or street, please contact: 

Code Enforcement Division

TED Business Group
400 S. Eagle St.
Naperville, IL 60540
TEL: (630) 420-6100 EMAIL:

Hours: Monday through Friday,7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Street Flooding

To report a flooded street that is impassable, please contact:

Public Works Service Center

180 Fort Hill Drive
Naperville, IL 60540
TEL: (630) 305-5369

Flood Insurance Program

Naperville participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not, Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks, and local drainage problems. For more information about the NFIP, visit

Local Flood Plain Maps

You can view local flood plain maps by visiting the following websites: