June 20 Tornado Updates
Disaster Loan Assistance Available
Residents impacted by the June 20 tornado are now eligible for disaster loans to assist with their recovery efforts. A Disaster Loan Outreach Center has been established in DuPage County to assist storm survivors through the process of applying for these loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration. The center is located at the Village of Woodridge, 5 Plaza Drive, Woodridge. The center will open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. July 26-29.
To apply online or receive additional disaster assistance information, visit https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Applicants can also call the SBA Customer Service line at (800) 659-2955 for help. Applications for home and physical disaster loans are due by Sept. 14.
On June 20, 2021, an EF-3 tornado touched down south of 75th Street near Ranchview Drive.
Cleanup Update: July 7, 2021
Special brush and property debris collections in select areas impacted by the tornado have concluded. Moving forward, any brush placed on the curb for collection should be bagged and bundled to meet the City’s yard waste collection guidelines, and any debris should meet the City’s garbage collection guidelines.
City crews will conduct stump grinding and landscape restoration in hardest hit areas over the next month. Plans for a tree planting program for the impacted area are being finalized and will be communicated at a future time.
Residents who suffered property damage should beware of scams and individuals looking to take advantage of this disaster. Various solicitors representing the following companies have been issued permits to solicit services in the impacted area. (Non-profit peddlers/solicitors do not require a permit.) Solicitors who are permitted will have a badge with the City's logo, their photo, and expiration date. Residents should ask to see that badge to ensure they are dealing with a permitted solicitor.
Below is a list of agencies providing various services that may be of help to you, a loved one, neighbor or friend. These resources are those the City has been made aware of at this time. To request that the City consider including another resource on this list, please email the Communications Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Red Cross
- Contact information:
Good Shepherd Church
- Those in need of assistance may submit their information at www.goodshepherd-naperville.org/connect/care-prayer/care-team
- Mexican Consulate in Chicago - Emergency Assistance: 1-888-755-5511
- U-Haul is offering 30 days of free self-storage and U-Box container usage at three Illinois facilities to those impacted by the June 20 tornado. Learn more here.
- Comcast will work with individuals whose homes were damaged to place their accounts on hold, defer payment, waive late fees and assist with account transfers if customers need to relocate permanently. For more information, please contact Comcast Customer Care online at www.xfinity.com or call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278).
- Suits for Success (https://suitsforsuccess.net) has a Clothing Closet and food pantry (in partnership with Loaves & Fishes) set up at Compass Church, 151 E. Briarcliff, Bolingbrook, from 4 to 6 p.m. every Wednesday or by appointment. For more information, visit www.thecompass.net/page/660?EventOccurrenceId=1619, call 630-739-2824, or email email@example.com.
- ICNA Relief: Visit www.icnarelief.org/programs, call the Relief Helpline at (844) 414-4862 or email Chicago@icnarelief.org.
- Pet Relief: DogPatch Pet & Feed encourages those with pet-related needs to reach out them if they need assistance. www.facebook.com/dogpatchpets.
- Illinois REALTORS Relief Foundation: Established in 2015, this foundation can help those in the state who have been affected by natural disasters with housing cost relief not covered by insurance. Visit www.illinoisrealtors.org/about/foundations/irrf
- Lasagna Love (request a meal): https://lasagnalove.org/request/?fbclid=IwAR3-s-xIubQQX7GWkDA1jdNgYMZGzl9aVWpaAIeCNarWVwdh-BXmK4R4fzg
- PRAY!Naperville: Submit a Prayer Request through PRAY!Naperville at https://praynaperville.org/#prayer
- Not One Move Vet, Inc. has grants available for veterinary clinics that have been impacted by natural disasters. If clinics are affected and interested, please apply at https://nomv.org/apply-for-a-grant/
Volunteering and Donations
The following resources are opportunities the City has been made aware of at this time to assist the victims of the June 20 tornado. To request that the City consider including another resource on this list, please email the Communications Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the tremendous outpouring of support from the community, the City of Naperville is no longer taking names of individuals wanting to volunteer.
- Good Shepherd Church, 1310 Shepherd Dr., Naperville is accepting information for volunteers at www.goodshepherd-naperville.org/connect/care-prayer/care-team.
- Monetary donations can be made to the Red Cross at www.redcross.org/local/illinois/ways-to-donate.html.
- The Fry Family YMCA is attempting to raise $1,000 for tornado relief for the Naperville community. This amount would provide one day of camp for 20 local kids, including those whose families may be shouldering unexpected expenses due to tornado damage.
- Ranch View Elementary gift card collection: Gift cards to major retailers (Walmart, Target) and restaurants can be dropped off at Ranch View Elementary School between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. at Door #1 or sent by mail to 1651 Ranchview Drive, Naperville, IL 60565.
- Meadow Glens Elementary gift card collection: Gift cards to major retailers (Walmart, Target) and restaurants can be dropped off at Meadow Glens Elementary School between the hours of 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. at Door #1 on Wednesdays or sent by mail to 1150 Muirhead Avenue, Naperville, IL 60565.
- Naperville Education Foundation Kid Booster Crisis Fund – The Naperville Education Foundation is providing assistance through the Kid Booster Crisis Fund. Visit www.nef203.org.
- Little Pops “Slices of Hope”: Little Pops Pizzeria is conducting a gift card donation/match program for tornado victims as well as taking donations for pizzas to help feed volunteers, public crews, and families in the coming days and weeks. Call (630) 210-8084 for more information and to donate.
Press Releases and Community Updates
The City of Naperville released information to the community as crews responded to the tornado and conducted cleanup and recovery efforts in the days following. Read the communications.