Citizen Fire Academy
The Citizen Fire Academy is a program designed to give participants insights into how firefighters/paramedics perform their duties, as well as how the Naperville Fire Department serves the community.
The program consists of brief classroom discussions, with a primary focus on hands-on exercises that may include a variety of physical activities including but not limited to standing, climbing, lifting, bending and crawling. All are welcome; no one is excluded based on physical limitations. Participants must be at least 18 years of age.
There is currently no class scheduled.
The mission of the Citizen Fire Academy is to create a well-informed cross section of the citizens from our community by describing the functions of the Naperville Fire Department. It will acquaint the public through a series of classroom and hands-on courses utilizing the resources and manpower of the Naperville Fire Department. It will expose the very nature of firefighting along with the danger and benefits it holds.
- To explain the tactics and strategies of firefighting and rescue, along with the dangers and benefits inherent to this type of service.
- To provide insight to the inner workings of the Naperville Fire Department and to better inform the residents of Naperville about the multitude of services provided to the community.
- To foster an understanding of the broad spectrum of knowledge, training and skills necessary to be a member of the Naperville Fire Department.
- To better prepare residents of Naperville to react properly in the event of a fire or medical emergency.
- To encourage participants to return to their organizations, neighborhoods and families to share information that will develop more safety-conscious citizens.
- To provide an interactive forum for both the Fire Department and the citizens to share information and concerns.
Those wishing to apply, or just seeking more information about the Citizen Fire Academy, should contact