Financial Assistance and Taxes

Resources to assist seniors with emergency expenses and other costs, including property taxes and Social security. Townships are the primary governmental resource for assistance; most township websites have specific information about assistance.

All real estate benefit programs are processed through your township offices. Available programs are: 

  • Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption The Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption provides seniors with limited income protection against real estate tax increases due to rising property values. 
  • Senior Citizens’ Real Estate Tax Deferral The Senior Citizens’ Real Estate Tax Deferral program provides tax relief for qualified senior citizens by allowing them to defer their property tax on their principal residence. 
  • Senior Citizens’ Homestead Exemption The Senior Homestead Exemption provides for a maximum of $5,000 reduction from the equalized assessed valuation of a property. 
  • Reduction of assessed value based on appraisal If you re-finance your home and the appraised value is less that the assessed value on your real estate tax bill, send the appraisal to your township office and request a reduction in assessed value upon which the real estate tax bill is calculated. 

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Will County

TEL: (815) 723-9713

Other Money Management Programs

DuPage County Senior Services’ Money Management Program

TEL: (630) 407-6500 ext. 2 Toll free: (800) 942-9412

The Money Management Program is co-sponsored by AARP and the Illinois Department on Aging. Seniors over the age of 60 receiving Community Care Program services or Elder Abuse services are eligible within certain income and assets guidelines. Trained volunteers are supervised and monitored by a Money Management Coordinator and insured by AARP. Volunteers are matched with eligible clients throughout DuPage County. 

Will County Center for Community Concerns

TEL: (815) 722-0722

Illinois Department of Human Services

TEL: (630) 530-1120 (DuPage County) Will County: (815) 740-5350

(also known as “Public Aid” or “DHS”)