Real Estate Transfer Tax

The City of Naperville issues transfer tax stamps for real estate purchases and exempt stamps for owners making deed changes. There is a charge for purchase of a real estate transfer stamp, but no charge for exempt stamps. Both transactions only apply to incorporated properties within Naperville.

How do I find out if the property is within city limits?
Your address can be looked up on our website using the Your Place application. Once the address information is opened, you can click on Planning/Zoning Info to determine if the address in question is within city limits. You may also contact the Finance Department with questions at (630) 420-6059.

Transfer Tax Stamp for Real Estate Purchases

Who needs to purchase a transfer tax stamp?
Buyers of residential or commercial properties in Naperville located within city limits are responsible for purchasing the tax stamp by City ordinance.

How would I determine the cost of the transfer stamp?
The cost is $1.50 per $500 of purchase price, rounding the purchase price up in increments of $500 (i.e. $150,000 purchase price would be calculated $150,000 / 500 * 1.5 = $450.00).

What paperwork is required for issuance?

  1. Completed Statement of Open Accounts. This can now be requested online. The request for open accounts must be received at least 7 business days prior to closing; AND
  2. The sales contract which must include the legible purchase price, and the signature page with both buyer and seller signatures. OR
  3. The P-Tax form with both buyer and seller signatures.

Exempt Stamps

When is an exempt stamp required?
This is required on all properties in Naperville within city limits when there is a deed change on owned property. Some examples include marriage and adding another name, name change, putting in or removing from a Trust, refinancing, divorce/removal of name or a foreclosure where the Sheriff’s Deed puts the property in bank ownership. If the property on the Sheriff’s Deed was purchased by an individual, a transfer tax stamp would need to be purchased (see above). Please complete and submit the following forms:

Request a Statement of Open Accounts Online

The City is now accepting online requests for Statements of Open Accounts. To submit a request, visit the City's Help Center and follow these steps:

  • Select "Submit a Request"
  • Select "Finance" from the drop-down menu
  • Select "Find Request Type"
  • Select "Statement of Open Accounts"
  • If you do not already have a Help Center account, please create one. Complete the required form.
  • Mark the affirmation box, complete the captcha, and select "Submit." You will receive a confirmation screen and email with your request number. Please keep this number for future reference.

Submit a Statement of Open Accounts Request

How Do I Acquire a Real Estate Transfer Stamp?

There are two methods to acquire the real estate transfer stamp:

By Mail:
Please send all of the necessary documents, along with an acceptable form of payment and a self-addressed, postage-paid return envelope.

  • Acceptable forms of payment include personal or business checks and money orders.
  • Please double-check to ensure the payment amount is correct. If the wrong amount is received, the stamp cannot be issued.
  • Consider using FedEx, UPS and USPS certified mail for tracking purposes.
  • If you are requesting an exempt stamp, please include a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope, even though there is no charge to issue the stamp itself.
  • All required documents and payment, if necessary, should be mailed to: City of Naperville, Attn: Finance Department, 400 S. Eagle St., Naperville, IL 60540.

In Person:
Please bring all necessary documents to the Finance Department at the Municipal Center, 400 S. Eagle St., Naperville, IL 60540.

  • Acceptable forms of payment include Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, personal or business check, money order or cash.
  • If the check or money order is preprinted, please make sure the amount is correct. 
  • Check for Building and Code Inspection Issues Prior to Purchase

For information regarding the status of any outstanding building permits, building fees, or code enforcement actions and outstanding fines on property you are considering buying in the City of Naperville, please submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request through our website. Should you have any additional property transfer questions, please call customer service at (630) 420-6059.