Temporary Utility Assistance Program
Application Period Open
Applications for the Temporary Utility Assistance Program are currently being accepted. All applications will be responded to on a first-come first-served basis. For eligibility requirements and how to apply, please view the full program details below.
The City of Naperville, in partnership with Loaves & Fishes, is offering temporary utility assistance for both small business and residential utility customers financially affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Residential and small business utility customers that meet established eligibility criteria are eligible to receive a one-time grant of up to $300 and $1500, respectively. Eligible utility customers will be able to use this money to pay any previous or current City utility bill. The application period is currently open and applications will be reviewed on a first-come first-served basis. Residential customers will be served by Loaves & Fishes, while small business customers will work directly with the City.
Residential Utility Assistance
- Applicants must be a City of Naperville resident with an active utility account.
- Residents must demonstrate a need for financial assistance. While there is not a strict income eligibility limit, Loaves & Fishes will ask applicants to show a financial need, such as lost or reduced income.
- Any assistance approved by Loaves & Fishes will be applied directly to the resident's current or past-due utility charges. Assistance will not be offered for future account balances.
- Any outstanding account balance that exists after funds are granted must be paid in full or the resident must request a payment plan through the City, which is available on The City's Help Center.
- Applications will be accepted directly by Loaves & Fishes through their Emergency Assistance Program. The City of Naperville will not accept requests for assistance from residential customers.
- To apply for utility assistance, call Loaves & Fishes at (630)-355-3663 and press 4 to leave a message. Calls will be returned in the order they are received. Please only leave one message. Due to the high volume of calls, you can expect a return call in 3-5 business days. We appreciate your patience with this process.
- All clients requesting assistance from Loaves & Fishes must complete a detailed application and supply mandatory documents (accepted electronically due to the pandemic). Applications are taken over the phone by volunteers and a phone appointment is made to review documentation, including verification of need for financial assistance.
- On average, clients go through the emergency assistance process within one to two weeks.
Small Business Utility Assistance
- Business or rental property (for landlord) must be located within the City of Naperville with an active utility account.
- Open for business prior to Jan. 1, 2020.
- Currently open for business and not in bankruptcy.
- Business authorized to conduct business within the City of Naperville, has all required permits and licenses and complies with all regulations.
- 75 or fewer full-time equivalent employees.
- Annual revenue of $4 million or less for 2019.
- Business does not include any of the following: home-based, nonprofit, religious or political organization, payday loan, rooming house/boarding facility/air bnb, adult entertainment.
- If business is part of a franchise or chain, the location is the only location in Naperville that will apply for a grant.
- Any outstanding account balance that exists after funds are granted must be paid in full or the business must request a payment plan through the City, which is available on the City's Help Center.
- Business owners or landlords must apply through the City's Help Center on the City of Naperville website. To Apply for Small Business Utility Assistance, click here.