Code Enforcement

The City of Naperville's Code Enforcement Team and building inspectors enforce building code regulations, as well as inspect all construction. The City of Naperville follows the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code.

To report a possible code violation:

Code Enforcement Division

TED Business Group
400 S. Eagle St.
Naperville, IL 60540
TEL: (630) 420-6693 Opt. 3 EMAIL:

Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can garbage containers be placed at the curb and when do containers need to be removed from the curb?
Garbage containers may be placed at the curb the evening before the day of collection and must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. the day of collection.

What is the height restriction for grass / weeds?
Grass and weeds may not exceed eight (8) inches in height in the right-of-way and on private property.

Can I place a mobile storage unit (e.g. POD) on my property and what is the time limitation?
A mobile storage container may be placed on the property for up to fifteen (15) consecutive days without a City permit or approval. Beyond 15 days, a City permit is required. No such unit or container may remain upon their property for more than two (2) fifteen (15) day periods per calendar year. The container may be placed only upon a residential driveway or other hard surface approved by the city engineer.

Do I have to shovel my sidewalk?
Yes. Property owners must keep clean and open for public passage any sidewalk or sidewalks abutting on or adjacent to their lot or parcel of land. The sidewalks should be cleared of snow and ice within 48 hours following the weather event.

Please note that it is unlawful to remove snow or ice from private property and deposit it upon any public street or alley or any part thereof.

How many people are allowed to live in a residence?
The number of people allowed to live in a residence is based on square footage of the habitable space in the residence. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls and storage / utility spaces are not considered habitable spaces. Individuals do not have to be related to one another in order to live in the same residence.

Do I need a permit for the work I am doing at my house? 
Decks, driveways, fences and swimming pools all require permits. Most remodeling projects (e.g. basements or kitchen upgrades) will also require a permit, particularly if you are removing or adding walls, modifying electric or plumbing, or enlarging windows or doors.

Can my neighbor have a basketball hoop in the street or on the sidewalk?  

What can I do about my neighbor’s tree that overhangs my property? 
In most cases this will be a civil issue. If you believe a code violation may be involved, please call the main code enforcement line at (630) 420-6100, option 3, and an inspection can be scheduled to determine if there is a violation that can be addressed.

Can I direct my sump-pump discharge to the sidewalk or street? 

Who is responsible for keeping the sidewalk clear of overgrown bushes and trees? 
The property owner must maintain the public way in a safe condition for pedestrians, free of all obstructions, excavations, tall grass, weeds, trash, debris or other substances or materials which may interfere with the free use of such passageways by the public; and from all trees and bushes interfering with the free use of sidewalks.

How do I report graffiti?
If you see graffiti on public property in Naperville, please call Police Dispatch at (630) 420-6147, and file a police report with the location of the graffiti. Once the report is filed, it will be routed to the appropriate department for removal.

If you see graffiti on private property, please contact Code Enforcement at (630) 420-6100, option 3, with the location of the graffiti.  We will investigate the complaint, and work with the property owner to have the graffiti removed promptly.

What if I have a code-enforcement complaint outside of stated business hours? 
If the matter is an emergency, please call 911. If the matter is of an urgent nature (e.g. working outside of the allowable construction hours) and should not wait, please call the non-emergency police number at (630) 420-6666.

If the request can wait, please call (630) 420-6100, option 3, and leave a detailed message and the information will be retrieved the next business day. In your message, please let us know if you would like a return phone call and leave a phone number where you can be reached during the day.

Where is the sign code? 
The City’s sign code is titled “Street Graphics Control” and can be found in Chapter 16 of Title 6 of the Municipal Code.  Signage located in the public right-of-way is prohibited. Illegally placed signs in the right-of-way will be removed and violators may be subject to any fines and costs associated with the violation. 

What are the allowable construction work hours? 
For teardowns, large room additions and new construction where 80% of the lot is within a 90 degree radius are improved dwelling units.

Definition of a large room addition (Title 5, 5-1B-2 Amendments): A building addition that increases the existing gross floor area as defined in Chapter 2 of the 2012 International Building Code of the principal structure by 50% or more.

  • Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Saturday:  8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Sundays & Holidays: No Work Permitted – interior & exterior

For other construction within 1,000 feet of any residence:

  • Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Saturday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Sunday & Holidays:   7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

For construction not within 1,000 feet of any residence:

  • Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Saturday: 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Sunday & Holidays:   7 a.m.– 10 p.m.

Holidays include:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • 4th of July
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

If work is occurring outside allowable hours and you would like immediate response, please call the non-emergency police number at (630) 420-6666.  If you do not need immediate response, please call the main code enforcement line at (630) 420-6100, option 3, to lodge your complaint.