21st Century Policing
1. Building Trust and Legitimacy
This pillar suggests citizens are more likely to obey the law when they believe those enforcing it are legitimate. The notion that police officers should act as guardians of public safety as opposed to warriors sweeping in, fighting crime and leaving is emphasized in this section. Transparency, community interaction and positive, non-enforcement activities are also discussed in this section.
- NPD participates in a multitude of non-enforcement activities and meetings throughout the community, including:
- Chat with the Chief
- Connect for Life
- Meetings with religious and other community leaders and groups
- Elementary school programs
- Citizens Police Academy (CPA) and Youth Citizens Police Academy
- National Night Out
- Public Safety Open House
- Shop with a Cop
- Community education programs
- Community Radio Watch (CRW)
- Internship Program
- St. Baldrick’s Brave the Shave
- Special Olympics Torch Run and fundraisers, such as Polar Plunge
- Active shooter response training
- A Safer Naper
- Officer Ken Keating serves as the Department's LGBTQ Liaison and works closely with associations and LGBTQ groups in the community and addresses the community's needs through referrals and professional police services. The LGBTQ liaison also conducts training within the Department to keep all employees apprised of changing cultural conditions. Officer Keating can be reached at (630) 420-6739.
- We are in 100% compliance with providing information requested under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- NPD participates in the regional Mobile Field Force (MFF) team, which focuses on low-impact crowd control techniques.
- We conduct community surveys.
- We conduct regular outreach with community groups representing Naperville's diverse citizenry.
- The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners use a thorough screening process, including Dr. Friedman’s psychological testing to vet candidates against a database of other candidates in 18 categories to determine viability as a police officer.