21st Century Policing
5. Training and Education
This pillar recommends that the Federal Government partner with local higher learning institutions to promote high quality training for law enforcement. Additionally, it suggests these training facilities develop programs based on adult learning principles and scenario-based training exercises.
- The police academy puts emphasis on reality-based scenario training, bias training, mental health awareness training.
- Police academy graduates participate in a rigorous 26-week training program to prepare them for their assignment as a solo patrol officer.
- NPD has already taken steps to better train and educate our police officers. We have required a bachelor’s degree to be hired for more than 20 years. The City also has a tuition reimbursement program which has been utilized by many officers to obtain graduate degrees.
- A Defensive Tactics and Training Facility was constructed in 2016 to enhance training with an emphasis on de-escalation, less lethal use of force options and injury reduction.
- Fair and Impartial Policing (FIP) training will be conducted in the spring of 2017 to aid in the identification of implicit/explicit biases and strategies to overcome them.
- City Legal conducts Fourth Amendment training for all sworn personnel.
- All personnel receive training in Mental Health First Aid.