21st Century Policing
2. Policy and Oversight
This pillar encourages law enforcement agencies to have solid policies on use of force with an emphasis on preserving the sanctity of life. The policies must be reinforced with rigorous, practical, ongoing training. Data collection, supervision and accountability are also stressed as a way of keeping everyone safe and protecting the rights of all involved.
- NPD has been an accredited agency through CALEA for more than 20 years. Through this process, outside assessors evaluate our department with input from the community.
- We recently reviewed and revamped our Response to Resistance policy and procedures based on best practices from throughout the nation.
- We reorganized the process through which citizen complaints and commendations are processed and tracked.
- NPD increased focus on de-escalation, mental health and scenario-based training for our officers and supervisors.
- Staff participated in an accountability workshop.
- Ongoing training is conducted by our City Legal Department to stay up to date on case law, patterns and trends.
- More emphasis is being placed on debriefing critical incidents to address operational, training and equipment needs.
- When appropriate, we focus on alternatives to arrest, such as youth jury, station adjustments and City Ordinance tickets.
- We continue to conduct an annual review and analysis of racial profiling statistics.