Child Safety Seat Education and Inspections
Motor vehicles crashes are the leading cause of accidental injury-related death among children ages 14 and under. Child safety seats, when used and installed correctly, can prevent injury and often death. However, misuse of child safety seats is widespread. It is estimated that nearly 4 out of 5 children who are placed in child safety seats are improperly restrained.
The Naperville Police Department is committed to child safety and has certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPST) on staff to provide child safety seat inspections and education to residents to ultimately reduce the number of injuries and/or fatalities related to traffic collisions.
The CPS technician conducts an inspection of child safety seats, ensures proper installation and instructs parents/caregivers on the proper use and installation of their child’s safety seat. Our CPS technicians will ensure parents/caregivers are confident installing their child safety seat(s) and are comfortable reinstalling and using it correctly.
They will also discuss the laws pertaining to the ultimate safety of children as passengers in a vehicle and the next steps for each child, such as when to move to the next type of car seat. Click here for more information on age, height and weight guidelines for various child safety seats.
Request an Appointment
As part of our commitment to safety, the Naperville Police Department will soon offer free child safety seat inspections to Naperville residents by appointment. Please check back soon for more information.
Preparing for an appointment
- Have the child safety seat installed in the vehicle and bring the child to the inspection, if possible.
- Bring the child safety installation manual seat AND the vehicle’s owner’s manual. If the manual is not available, contact the manufacturer or visit the manufacturer’s website for the booklet information.
- Know the child’s current weight and height.
- Please note: Our technicians will not work with damaged or recalled safety seats.
What to expect during an inspection
- A CPS technician will
- fill out a preliminary checklist, which the parent/caregiver will need to sign.
- ensure the parent/caregiver is using the correct seat based on child's age, weight and height.
- explain and demonstrate the correct use and installation of your child safety seat.
- The parent/caregiver will be required to repeat the installation of the child safety seat, in the vehicle, at the time of inspection.
- Please note: Inspections can range from 30-45 minutes.