Renewable Energy Program
The Naperville Renewable Energy Program was established in 2004 as a way for Naperville Electric Utility customers to purchase renewable energy from renewable energy resources in Illinois. The program expanded in 2012 to also fund renewable energy projects in Naperville for non-residential customers in the form of grants.
When you enroll, Naperville purchases Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), which means that electrons generated by renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and solar arrays, are delivered to the local electric grid, so less fossil fuels are used. The current program is comprised of 99% wind energy and 1% solar energy, generated within Illinois and in neighboring states.
In addition to purchasing RECs, the program also provides funding for renewable energy projects in Naperville.
The goals of the grant program are:
- To increase or create opportunities for our community to learn about renewable solutionsl;
- To support grant projects that measurably increase renewable energy usage and displace fossil fuels; and,
- To support renewable energy grant projects that can be replicated.
Non-residential customers in Naperville can apply for a Renewable Energy Grant, which is funded by the program. Grants are:
- $50,000 maximum cost reimbursement award.
- 50% of the applicant’s total cost of the energy improvement project.
- The City's grant award amount and grants from all other sources shall not exceed the total project cost.
How to Participate
An additional charge of as little as $5.00 to your monthly electric utility bill covers the added expense of delivering clean, renewable energy to the electric grid and will support funding renewable energy projects in Naperville. You will have the same reliable electric service that you always receive.
To participate, click on this Help Center link. Once you are in the Help Center, click the Submit a Request button and fill out the Renewable Energy Program registration form. If you need assistance finding your utility account number, please click on the Example Utility Bill. For additional information, call the Finance Department at (630) 420-6059.
|Monthly Charge||Amount of Fossil Fuel Displaced|
|$5||433 pounds of coal not burned|
|$10||866 pounds of coal not burned|
|$15||1,299 pounds of coal not burned|
|$20||1,732 pounds of coal not burned|
Participating Businesses and Organizations
Join the program to support the development of over 10.295 million kWh of Illinois renewable energy annually. More than 2,700 residential and non-residential customers participate. Non-residential customers include:
- Ace Graphics Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- Astor Place
- Barrett’s Home Theatre
- BCW LLC
- Casey’s Foods
- City of Naperville – Electric Utility
- City of Naperville – Fire Department
- City of Naperville – Water/Wastewater Utility
- DuPage Children’s Museum
- Edward-Elmhurst Hospital & Health Services
- Linden Oaks
- Loaves & Fishes Community Services
- Naperville Park District
- Naperville Running Company
- North Central College
- St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church
- St. Patrick’s Residence Nursing and Rehabilitation
Join the program today
Click on this link to join the Renewable Energy Program.