Renewable Energy Program
The Naperville Renewable Energy Program was established in 2004 as a way for Naperville Electric Utility customers to purchase renewable energy from renewable energy resources in Illinois. The program expanded in 2012 to also fund renewable energy projects in Naperville for non-residential customers in the form of grants.
When you enroll, Naperville purchases Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), which means that electrons generated by renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and solar arrays, are delivered to the local electric grid, so less fossil fuels are used. The current program is comprised of 99% wind energy and 1% solar energy, generated entirely within the State of Illinois.
In addition to purchasing RECS, the program also provides funding for renewable energy projects in Naperville.
The goals of the grant program are:
- To increase or create opportunities for our community to learn about renewable solutions:
- To support grant projects that measurably increase renewable energy usage and displace fossil fuels; and,
- To support renewable energy grant projects that can be replicated.
Non-residential customers in Naperville can apply for a Renewable Energy Grant, which is funded by the program. Grants are:
- $50,000 maximum cost reimbursement award.
- 50% of the applicant’s total cost of the energy improvement project.
- The City's grant award amount and grants from all other sources shall not exceed the total project cost.
How to Participate
A small additional charge of $5.00 to your monthly electric bill delivers 200 kilowatt hours of clean, renewable energy to the Illinois electric grid. The monthly charge is in addition to your current electricity charges. City residents and businesses can choose the participation level that best fits their energy usage and their budget. The City of Naperville will continue to deliver your electricity and provide the same reliable utility service. Fill out the form and send it to the Finance Department, 400 S. Eagle St., Naperville, IL 60540.
|Monthly Charge||Kilowatt Hours||Amount of Fossil Fuel Displaced|
|$5||200||155 pounds of coal not burned|
|$10||400||309 pounds of coal not burned|
|$15||600||464 pounds of coal not burned|
|$20||800||618 pounds of coal not burned|
|$25||1,000||773 pounds of coal not burned|
Participating Businesses and Organizations
Join the program to support the development of over 10.295 million kWh of Illinois renewable energy annually. More than 2,900 residential and non-residential customers participate. Non-residential customers include:
- Ace Graphics Inc
- Apple Inc.
- Astor Place
- Barrett’s Home Theatre
- BCW LLC
- Casey’s Foods
- City of Naperville – Electric Utility
- City of Naperville – Fire Department
- City of Naperville – Water/Wastewater Utility
- DuPage Children’s Museum
- Edward-Elmhurst Hospital & Health Services
- Linden Oaks
- Loaves & Fishes Community Services
- Naperville Park District
- Naperville Running Company
- North Central College
- St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church
- St. Patrick’s Residence Nursing and Rehabilitation
Share your opinion about the program
Please share your opinion about the Naperville Renewable Energy Program. Here is a link to a short survey about the program: