Solar Panel Guidelines
Solar Installation Rebates
The City of Naperville Electric Utility is offering up rebates from $1,000 to $3,000, based on the size of the system, and a 3-year peak kW to homeowners who purchase and install either a roof-mounted solar energy system or a solar water heating system. The rebates are for projects that are purchased and installed on or after Oct. 1, 2019. Learn more about the program in the application.
The City of Naperville is committed to working to improve solar market conditions, making it faster, easier and more affordable for our residents and businesses to install solar energy systems. We formally support the following goals and will work to achieve them both in our own community and with collaboration throughout the region. These high-level energy goals are:
- Advance renewable energy
- Enact policies that support clean energy
- Engage the community in clean energy practices
In order to measure progress along the way, we will track key metrics related to solar energy deployment, such as the number and location of solar installations and their capacity. This action is consistent with our commitment to transparency, open data, and sustainability reporting expectations established by our local Sustainability Plan.
Solar Installation Checklist
Before installing solar panels, here is a checklist that will help guide you through the process.
Roof Top Solar - Re-Roofing, system modifications or additions.
In all cases, a City of Naperville Building Permit will be required to re-install any system that has been removed due to any re-roofing project. Additionally, any modification to an existing system will require a City of Naperville Building Permit. Please view the solar checklist for permit information.
Solar Panel Guidelines include:
- Solar Installation Application Packet that includes information about:
- Utility Connection Standards
- Net Metering: Customers with solar panels installed can participate in Net Metering, which is an arrangement by which excess energy generated by a renewable energy system is distributed back to the grid. Customers will see a credit on their bill.
- Solar Compliance Form
- Residential Load Calculation
- Historic District Guidelines
Looking to Install Solar Panels?
If you are considering solar panels, here are the steps to take prior to installation to make sure all safety requirements and applicable codes are met.Learn More
Service Rules and Regulations
Naperville Electric Utility Service Rules and Regulations states that all customer-owned generation equipment, including traditional combustion, photovoltaic (PV), wind, or any alternate means of electric energy generation must meet the appropriate national electrical standards (NEC, NESC, etc.), local codes (building, fire, etc.), and all applicable permits must be obtained by the customer.
Approval of Interconnection and Permission to Operate
Approval of interconnection to the Naperville Electric Utility grid is automatically granted when a City of Naperville Building Permit is issued to the applicant.
Permission to operate is automatically granted after the system has passed the final electrical inspection by a City of Naperville electrical inspector.
Documentation of a Functional Net Metering System - Grants
Documentation from the Naperville Electric Utility for a vendor or customer submittal to entities providing grants may be obtained by emailing Ron Ritter, email@example.com, two weeks after the system is in operation. Documentation will only be provided to the utility customer or vendor as identified on the Solar Compliance Form.
- Grow Solar Local Government Solar Toolkit
- Homeowners' Solar Rights Act
- U.S. Department of Energy - State & Local Energy Data
- DSIRE - Database of energy-related policies and incentives in Illinois
Consumer Protection Resources
- Solar Consumer Protection - National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council Consumer Protection
- Illinois Solar Energy Association Code of Conduct
- Solar Energy Industries Association Customer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association Consumer Protection Resources
- Solar Energy Industries Association Guide to Land Leases
- The Solar Foundation
Find Your Solar Potential
Find A Certified Installer
For more information, contact Technical Specialist Ron Ritter with the Naperville Electric Utility at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 420-4183.