Internet Safe Sale Zone
In response to concerns about personal safety while completing a sale or purchase that began online, the Naperville Police Department encourages residents to use the police station as an internet purchase exchange location to safely complete such transactions.
Residents can conduct their legal transaction in one of two locations at the department, which is located at 1350 Aurora Avenue:
- LOBBY - Our lobby is open to the public from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, excluding holidays. It is staffed with public service officers and equipped with cameras.
- PARKING LOT - There are two designated Internet exchange parking spaces in front of the department. This area is recorded by cameras 24-hours per day, is well-lit and within a short distance of the emergency phone at the front of our building.
These exchange zones were created to provide a neutral, monitored meeting place to conduct face-to-face transactions and hopefully provide a deterrent to criminals hoping to take advantage of an unsuspecting victim. However, it is important to exercise good judgment when meeting with strangers. There are individuals who use various forums to perpetrate scams, sell stolen property or victimize others.
Regardless of whether the exchange zone is used, please consider the following safety tips:
- When possible, arrange to meet in a public and busy place. Avoid going to someone's home or having someone come to your own if at all possible.
- Beware of scams. If something seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam;
- For sellers: Be alert to someone using counterfeit money or stolen and forged checks. Inspect any cash you are given.
- For buyers: Be aware of someone trying to sell you stolen, broken or fake items. Thoroughly inspect items, make sure it works and watch out for fake items.
- Save listings and contact information should you need to report a problem.
- Always report problems to the service used and/or social media sites, as well as any criminal activity to police.
- Avoid carrying too much cash.
Remember: Don't meet just anywhere to complete transactions that started online. Use the police department's front lobby or parking lot to make the exchange. If the other party doesn't agree to meet here, they're probably not someone you want to do business with!