Residents are required to obtain the necessary building permits from the City of Naperville - Development Services before beginning any new construction project. Construction projects include new buildings, additions and remodeling, decks, patios, fences and pools. Building permits may also be required for water softeners, air conditioners, antennas, lawn sprinkler systems, driveways and accessory outbuildings. Please refer to the City of Naperville Guide to Building Permits for additional information on when a permit is required and suggestions for choosing a contractor.
Building Permit Fee Increase
The city’s building permit fees were last updated on February 1, 2019 (per Ordinance 18-145). Please see the fee schedules below.
Plan Review Standards
Per Ordinance 18-141, passed by the City Council in December 2018, all plans will be reviewed based on:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2017 National Electric Code (NFPA 70)
- 2006 International Code Council Electrical Administrative Provisions
- 2018 Life Safety Code (NFPA 101)
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code, Current Edition
- National Fire Code (NFPA), Current Edition
- Illinois State Plumbing Code, Current Edition
- Illinois Accessibility Code, Current Edition
- Local Amendments per Naperville Municipal Code
For questions about the new code requirements, contact the Development Services counter at (630) 420-6100, Option 2.
Single Family Residential Structure Checklists
These checklists have been created for residential reviewers to ensure that all plans are reviewed adequately and appropriately.
For questions, please call (630) 420-6100, Option 2, and ask to speak to a project manager.
Tracking Building Permits
For information regarding plan tracking status of your building permit, call (630) 420-6100, option 2. For information regarding inspection results, call (630) 420-6100, option 1.
Building Permits Issued Reports
The City of Naperville's monthly building permit data can now be obtained without filing a formal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
Building Permit Monthly Reports
Easily find detailed monthly building permit data containing permit type, address, contractor and valuation information without filing a FOIA request.Download the Reports