Residents must obtain necessary building permits through Development Services before beginning any new construction or additions to existing buildings, including decks, fences or pools. Municipal codes also regulate sign installation, water softeners, air conditioners, swimming pools, fences, antennas, lawn sprinkler systems, driveways and accessory outbuildings.
For helpful tips on building permits in Naperville, download the City of Naperville's Guide to Building Permits (PDF).
Building Permit Fee Increase
Beginning February 1, 2019, the City of Naperville will be implementing across-the-board building permit fee increases. Per Ordinance 18-145, passed by the City Council in December 2018, all building fees will increase by approximately 10%. Please contact the Development Services counter at (630) 420-6100, Option 2 with any questions about the new fee amounts.
Plan Review Standards
Per Ordinance 18-141, passed by the City Council in December 2018, all plans will be reviewed based on:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2017 National Electric Code (NFPA 70)
- 2006 International Code Council Electrical Administrative Provisions
- 2018 Life Safety Code (NFPA 101)
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code, Current Edition
- National Fire Code (NFPA), Current Edition
- Illinois State Plumbing Code, Current Edition
- Illinois Accessibility Code, Current Edition
- Local Amendments per Naperville Municipal Code
For questions about the new code requirements, contact the Development Services counter at (630) 420-6100, Option 2.
Single Family Residential Structure Checklists
These checklists have been created for residential reviewers to ensure that all plans are reviewed adequately and appropriately.
For questions, please call (630) 420-6100, Option 2, and ask to speak to a project manager.
Building Permits Online
This site allows residents and contractors with active building permit applications to view the plan tracking status of their building permit as well as schedule inspections and view inspection results, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Building Permits Online Guide (PDF) is available to help you through the process.
Building Permits Online
This application allows you to view the plan tracking status of your building permit as well as schedule inspections and view inspection results.Visit Now
Building Permits Issued Reports
The City of Naperville's monthly building permit data can now be obtained without filing a formal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
Building Permit Monthly Reports
Easily find detailed monthly building permit data containing permit type, address, contractor and valuation information without filing a FOIA request.Download the Reports